November 29, 2012

post hurricane Sandy- pictures of mom's house

This is our families house in Long Beach, NY. I know you know this city was hit terribly hard by Hurricane Sandy along with many many others. This place is special to me. I spent all of my childhood's summers there and lived there for my young adulthood up until the time Bill and I married. 

It's a wonderful place.... Most every good memory I have includes this place and the people from it.  Honestly it was sad to see the city in such a state but it's really about the people and I know you'll remember that as you look at these pictures. 

Here are some pictures of the hard work done by my cousin Howie and his friends who gutted the downstairs half of the house.  
























Four feet of water flooded the downstairs level of the house our Mothers' still own during Hurricane Sandy. I can't even imagine what this looked like before can you?



























I visited Long beach when I was up for Thanksgiving and the wedding last week. Even after weeks of clean up the signs of destruction are highly visible and I can't imagine the scars will ever go away.






There is much work to be done! This was scene right at the corner of my Mom's block. Here workers are clearing and taking away debris as the home owners strip their homes of damaged possessions, molding walls and floors and put it all on the curb for removal.



What I cannot show you in a photograph is the hope that I hear in every conversation with my family members and each and every friend I've talked to who was affected by this storm. They are all determined to rebuild and make this city better than before. Even those who lost everything are not deterred one bit.They as individuals and as a community are amazing people. They are salt of the earth strong and I am privileged to consider myself one of them.


17 comments:

  1. It's really hard to imagine in the Midwest if we didn't have the opportunity to see pictures like this, the real life stuff. I'm sorry for all of thus devastation. I hope they continue to repair. Also, I hope your mom s doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah! Pretty cool property. You are all so lucky for te memries. Sorry again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are tough to take! The devastation is palpable!

    Jen, you found the silver lining--your folks are tough, resilient, and resourceful...they will come through this tragedy stronger than before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to admire them for their determination to rebuild! It does look like such a daunting task though but it sounds like you and your people (family) came from pretty good stock! I'm looking forward to the day when you show us pictures of finished projects!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. It takes determination and time. There are so many things that can never be replaced, but with determination and time, things will get better! We saw it after Ike and were awed and amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure as as hard as it was to visit...it was also a means of supporting such a special place. I truly believe the heart of people reside in a community and not just in the buildings. My heart goes out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most people would shy away from going there but you did to show them support. I can't believe all that devestation on t.v but I bet is was more real in person xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went three or four weeks after and it was still a mess but nowhere near what it was. It just looked so gloomy and sad.

      Delete
  8. Wow, thanks for sharing. Good luck to you and your family as you rebuild and move forward! ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can not even imagine!

    I hope the rebuilding process goes smoothly for your mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, One day at a time i think is how they're taking it!

      Delete
  10. Oh Jen this is awful.That house looks like it's being built from scratch. The people have no option but to get on with life and try to get back to some sort of normality but I bet it's draining for them. I wish them well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've helped with some disaster recovery work at the NJ shore, & it leaves me speechless. My best to your parents. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Jen, I am so sorry to see and hear this! I can't imagine how you and your family have been feeling throughout all this. It must have been hard for you to see this first hand. By the sounds of things the community will rebuild and regain its character again.
    It is amazing how a community comes together when disaster happens....must just be instinctive.
    All the best,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen...I can hear the will and determination in your voice so I can hear it the family members and neighbours too. People are resilient and will pull through it. It's just a miserable shame that they had to go through all this. Thumbs up to all of you!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  14. That must have been a tough trip for you. I'm sure it'll take some time to rebuild, but I hope that the area will bounce back with support from the community and beyond.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!