October 28, 2012

you're welcome, jerk!

Trying to do the right thing doesn't always turn out as we expect. You know how it turned out for me if you read my post  'when you're the accused'  if you haven't read it click here. Today I've written about an experience I had when I was an adult again trying to do the right thing. 

Read on and see what happens!

The snow was piled knee high outside but that wasn't keeping my daughter from wanting to go on her sleep over. A snow storm the day before had almost caused the girls to cancel their plans but since it was only a three block drive we decided not to cancel.

I carefully drove over the snowy and icy streets and pulled into her friends driveway just as the snow started again. Darn, more snow was the last thing we needed! With her safely deposited in her friends house I got in my car and prepared for my drive home.

Seeing a field of white through my rear view mirror I backed out of the driveway and BANG. Damn! I jumped from my car and what appeared to be a snow drift behind me had a car under it. I brushed away the snow and there was damage, double damn.

I parked and knocked on three doors on that side of the street before I got the right house. The lady told me the car belonged to her tenant in the down stairs apartment. I jotted a note with my number left it and went home to tell Bill what I had done.

It was several hours before he called.

"What the hell's wrong with you?" He yelled at me through the phone.

"Don't you know how to drive?" It took me a few seconds to get over the shock of his meanness before I found my voice enough to say to him.

"You're welcome you jerk, you know I could have just drove away but I froze my ass off trying to find out whose car that was."

"When you get some damn manners you can call me back and we'll talk about arranging to get your car repaired."

Lets just say my husband took care of this one when he did call back.

My brother and his friends all worked at a local body shop so his car was fixed and returned to him within a week without either of our insurance being involved.

 I didn't speak to him again. I doubt anyone would blame me, jerk!








25 comments:

  1. Geeze! Jerk is right. What's wrong with some people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, write that one off! (at least you could and it's not someone you had to be in constant contact with)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was a jerk indeed. I commend you that you were willing to track down the car and make it right to get it repaired. Years ago someone hit my car in the parking lot and left a note apologizing for it with a fake name and phone number to call to get it repaired. I would have welcomed someone like you who took responsibility for their actions! I wonder if this guy ever felt bad about how he handled it?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a punk!!!! Karma stings... He will get it one day.

    What a good citizen you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that word I wish I would have thought to call him a punk!

      Delete
  5. I would call him more than a jerk. Just sayin :)
    Ok I probably wouldn't because I'm shy, but I would think about calling him that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! People just don't understand that kindness goes a lot further than being a jerk. You did your part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grumpy old coot! Why can't people be grateful? What an a$$. Glad you let hubby deal with him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whaaaaaat? Sometimes I feel bad for these people because they clearly have no positivity in their life. You did the right thing. I agree with amoryg. Karma stings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang! I don't get some people. Good for you for doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! You'd think he's be a bit grateful!

      Delete
  10. Unbelievable. As My Dad was fond of saying, no good deed goes unpunished...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you sure you don't live in Chicago? LOL! That guy was a complete jerk. I sort of wish you had just hit-and-run the jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!...he was a really 100% premium guaranteed jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. he must have had a very bad day!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's at that point when you wished you had driven away and just let him get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that feeling of shock and anger when confronted by such, I don't even have a word for it.
    It is hard to forgive and forget (something I've been praying for quite a bit in my life lately). But you did the right thing. No matter what, you behaved in a very honorable way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Jerk is putting it mildly. You did the right thing, though, and I am a firm believer that always comes back around!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Elizabeth...you did the right thing. You can't control what anyone else does. There are many jerks in the world, sadly. I have a neighbor like that. I know it's right to just keep doing the right thing on my end...I'm not responsible for anyone else's bad attitude. People can be so aggravating though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I didn't see that coming. ANOTHER jerk. It's sad really that she has to snoop to have a relationship with her child.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is a reason they are called accidents. And in the driving conditions you described, I can't believe someone would be so hostile.
    I'm glad it was settled and you didn't have to deal with him anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I saw out of my rear view mirror was white I honestly didn't see his car. He really was a horrible man. I'm so grateful for Bill for dealing with him he was not a nice man!

      Delete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!