February 2, 2014

Getting up close and personal

Things have changed significantly in our lives since the summer. After their plans to live elsewhere went BOOM (big family drama) Bill’s daughter and her family moved in with us. And now we’ve got a full house.

 Bill’s daughter (the one I didn’t raise) moved away as a young woman with her new husband to Cyprus. After a twenty five year absence from our lives they came back with kids in tow and there was a lot of catching up to do.It’s been great having boys (2) in the house again, and their children are very sweet and respectful. Although I’m not their biological grandmother I’ve been married to their grandfather for close to thirty-five years so they call me grandma out of respect (which I love). I am getting to know their personalities, their likes and dislikes and I’m even picking up a word or two of Greek!! My step daughter is a lovely young woman, only eight years my junior and we really get on well, like friends. She works hard long hours to support the family and is a loving wife and mother. Her husband is my food twin!! He loves all the exact food, beer and wine I like just like I like it; funny right? He’s very respectful of all of us and can’t do enough to help around the house, run out to the store or even repair something here or at my mother’s house.  He calls my son’s Billy and Matthew little brother which I think is very sweet.

And what we thought would be a few months stay has been extended to longer but we’re seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. For those of you, who think it’s easy “coming to America” as “a legal immigrant”, think again. My step daughters husband did everything except jump thru hoops to comply with all the rules, forms and fees  and finally this week  he’s received notice he’ll be getting his green card with permanent resident status within a week or two. Although he’s been here before and had two green cards previously that didn't make one iota of a difference. My thoughts turn to 911 and the heightened scrutiny our government takes on each and every application and I can’t help but think this is the reason and the cause for the months and months of wait time. Personally this makes me both annoyed and grateful at the same time.

 I’m just going to end this post with a big hello to anyone who’s even reading this blog anymore!!
 Thanks :0 

And some advice; for anyone reading that might have a relative who wants to come here to the USA and become a permanent resident. Do your paperwork in your home country before coming to America!  If not you best have a lot of money saved or a family member who can work (since you can’t work legally), at least two places to live. Don’t expect one of them to be my house…we’re out of rooms!! 

21 comments:

  1. Hopefully this will get resolved soon and it does sound like there is a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel. The key word was "legal" immigrant, because the others don't seem to have much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire anyone who wants to come to this country legally; sorry it is such a hassle though. I live 10 minutes away from the Mexican border where a lot choose to come illegally (which frustrates me more than anything). I do hope that everything gets resolved quickly so that he can legally work (funny how here illegals find work - paid under the table so to speak) and they can start to establish a life for themselves here in the States and out of your house :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you Jen. But am happy your family life is getting straightened out. I am glad that our country is as strict as it is on getting immigrants to fill out their paperwork and etc. I just wish they would get tough on all the illegals that we are currently providing support for .....Welcome to America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you too Paula.Thanks for visiting :)
      I know I've been bad about blogging and appreciated your kindness and your visit more than you know.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure it's a big change having a full house again, but I bet you are loving it :) What a special time to be able to spend with them and also help them out. You're wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me Jenn! Change like this is hard, good, crazy...you know how it is :) Love to Casey. btw. love the whole letter writing thing you're doing...it's a lost treasure in our society, more people should do it.

      Delete
  5. Two families living in one house, you've probably all had to compromise quite a bit. I'm glad things are beginning to sort themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving up my privacy is the biggest thing Sally. I've never had to retreat to my bedroom before for some quiet time..., but we do what we have to do to support our family.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see you back on the blog! Sounds like a busy household. Hope everything falls into place soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen I hope to get back to dome sort of schedule. of both writing and visiting

      Delete
  7. Well hello stranger! I've missed you & your witty sense of humor. I bet it's nice to have the pitter patter of youth in the house again. Ai yi yi...at your experience. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer now. Then you all can exhale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back at ya baby. How have you been? Did I remember you were making a move to the south? Ya here yet?

      Delete
  8. As an immigrant to this country, I know exactly what you're talking about. Although mine was a different situation (was very young, had no family to support, but had family supporting me, it was before 9/11, etc), the process is very difficult. Your stepdaughter is lucky to have your support and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born here Silvia however I am the granddaughter of four immigrants so I really understand this from all sides..I believe every generation goes thru their own unique sets of challenges/obstacles when they arrive in this country. Despite the hardships it's still a great place to live.I'm glad we could help.

      Delete
  9. Oh what a palava! I would have thought if he had been before it would have been easier. Lucky they have you and hubby. He must be pleased to have his daughter back after 25 yrs. I don't think it's as hard to come to Scotland and they pay everyone benefits here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been thinking about you Jen and how everything was going....and here you are! Good to see you here again and hear that things are moving right along. What a change for you all really, and good that you all get along.
    See you soon....we are here doing our 'bloggy' thing! lol take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had no idea. i would have thought it would be more simple. you have taught me something new. have a great week. thanks, for stopping by my blog. take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'd think with a spouse of 25yrs who is American you'd think so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen - well I'm glad things are finally come to a conclusion for them - it's been a challenging time, but families seem to have take things in your stride - and learnt much about each other .. perhaps an added bonus in the scheme of things.

    Enjoy life, as you do .. and see you around - especially at the A-Z - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!