Every once and a while I hit a home run with a recipe that my Mom just loves. Here's one that she raved about the first time I made it for her a few weeks ago on a rainy day. I thought I'd share it. So I decided to make it again and take some pictures and share it on this blog. Be aware it is far from low calorie due to the butter and the half and half, however if you serve it with some nice crusty bread and a wonderful salad I think it's worth it- and spinach is good for you remember!!
CREAM OF SPINACH SOUP
2 cups chopped fresh spinach - packed - (or 1 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed)
1 cup chopped onion
· 1/4 cup butter
· 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 1 pound)
· 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
· 2 cups half-and-half
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/8 teaspoon pepper
· 3/4 cup sour cream
· Optional: chopped chives and/or ground allspice for garnish
· In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion in butter for 3 minutes or until limp.
Add potatoes, chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Add spinach and cook for 2 to 4 minutes longer until spinach is tender.
· Working in batches, purée soup mixture in a blender – return to sauce pan or you may use an immersion blender. Whisk in half-and-half, salt and pepper.
· Over low heat, bring to just before simmering. Whisk in the sour cream. You may want to use an immersion blender to get the sour cream fully incorporated.
· This soup can be served hot or chilled.
· Serves 6 to 8.