July 22, 2013

what bothers me

My friend Paula is doing a July Blog Challenge. If you click on the link below the banner that says Paula's Place it will take you to her blog if you'd like to join. If you click here it will take you to the list of daily topics for the month also at her blog..



TODAY’S TOPIC

Jen’s five biggest pet peeves.

1. I despise poor customer service. Drives me crazy when I’m in a store or buying a product and the person who is helping me would rather be at the dentist. Even worse is when I call to have a complaint/concern addressed (and I’m being respectful) and the person on the other end isn't addressing my problem because they’re too busy taking my complaint personally instead of doing their job.

2. I do not like when adults especially parents forget what it’s like to have kids. It’s seems to me some seem to have short memories and are the first to complain when kids have a temper tantrum or cry in public. You know who you are dagger eye throwers! I don’t know about you but my kids were not angels; are you shocked?? And since they did not come with instructions we learned together, oh the horror. Glass houses people, glass houses. Next time you see a kid meltdown in your local store or restaurant. Take a moment to remember.

3. People just don’t see and respect the elderly as much as they should. Please hold the door open for my 85 year old mother if you see her standing there with her cane. And that goes for all the elderly who appreciate the kindness and even a hello and how do you do. Older people deserve the respect and do not appreciate having doors closed on their faces; but adore a bit of polite attention.

4. Excuse-rs get a grip. Take personal responsibility for what you do and say crying out loud. Stop the dumb excuses. Nobody wants to hear you!

5. I get bothered when people are rude or when they say hurtful things to workers like waitresses, waiters, bartenders and check out people in the market. (basically minimum wage workers) who work harder than you can imagine for very little pay. If it's their view that these jobs which are to serve somehow gives them the right to treat these workers as servants thus subservient then they're SO wrong. To me they're just rude bullies. 

 photo 80ec86bc-f076-418b-af17-df39702285cb.jpg

17 comments:

  1. I always have to explain to young parents why I'm smiling through their obvious discomfort. It's the circle if life. My kids were definitely not perfect.

    Number 5 could be my biggest. Treat ALL people with the respect they deserve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids were not perfect by any means either. But I always removed them from the situation instead of allowing the melt-down to continue in public. I hate being in a restaurant and having to listen to some spoiled brat scream, cry, kick the back of the booth and throw food all over the place. Yes, sometimes melt downs happen but it is so easy to just take them out to the car and deal with it there. Just my opinion, Jen! And I couldn't agree with you more about the elderly. I want to add....give them time to answer you. It takes awhile for their minds to process what you are saying to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula,
      Agreed about the elderly, they didn't get to where they are without not having something interesting to say if we'd only take the time to listen.
      I agree it's always best getting the little ones to a quite place when melting down is best but lets face it when the grocery cart if full sometimes it's just not practical. That's when a bit of understanding and grace is welcome. Restaurants is a whole other story, I agree with you %100.

      Delete
  3. I'm SSOOO with you on 3, 4, and 5. I feels these things so strongly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all especially number 5. I can't stand to see anyone treated as if they're beneath someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it all the time Flora, poor people left in tears by bullies who think their stuff doesn't stink. Shame!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jen - I couldn't agree more ... I was helping an elderly gentleman to a paper this morning and a woman of my age (3rd age) pushed in .. and I thought isn't it obvious what I was doing - I was not chuffed!

    Yesterday I tried to find an answer to a local town's connection to the Queen - and the town council information office had not got a clue ... I did find that I needed to contact the Fishermen's Association .. but all the same - no offer of phone number .. what was worse - they didn't want to know ..

    ... so when I did get through to the FA .. I told them and they'll sort it with the Council .. I've a good mind to ring next week and check again!

    I'd love a mainstream popular newspaper to (each day) publish a common gripe - to try and encourage the populace to change their habits ..

    So I agree - something so important I feel to the welfare of 21st humanity .. might help a few other things too ..

    Someone was sent to jail for racially abusing a passenger in a train - the phone footage was used in court - he was a known offender and was found that way ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes people don't think Hilary. My mother can stand and walk but she's not strong enough to open many heavy doors. Looking at a strange elderly person doesn't give one the ability to read their mind and tell you what their needs are. We have to ask. But first we have to CARE! We certainly do agree...

      Delete
  6. With ya on all but the kids. Yes I give evil looks when kids are screaming and the parents pretend not to hear, or when they allow them run around the restaurant like they think they're on a playground and again the parents pretend not to notice. Meltdowns, yep all kids have them; but most can be minimized if parents plan their activities around kids nap and meals times instead of thinking they can drag them around with no attention to their child's needs. AND like Paula, I removed myself and the child from the situation when things became a problem...even if the meal wasn't finished or the shopping not finished. No reason why others should suffer because my child isn't behaving...AND they were then told they would not be going with me next time. Sorry, but having just experienced this recently on vacation it was more then a annoying. And, I wasn't the only one glaring at the parents in this recent situation, most of those trying to eat their meals were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about being a blogger Sandy. We can put our views out there and agree to disagree respectfully. I hear ya :)

      Delete
  7. I don't know who said it, but it was basically, "pay attention to how your date treats the waiter or waitress on your first date because that's how they will treat you in six months." I think that is pretty true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Jen although some mums do let their kids run riot,it's not a new thing,always has been like that, they don't teach them respect. Why do they make some doors so heavy? The doors to our civic centre which holds the swimming pool,and gp surgery is so heavy I even struggle to open it what chance do the elderly have?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with all of your points. After being to the UK, I've noticed the difference with customer service quite a lot. In the US, it is better in shops but on the telephone, they seem happy for you to wait an hour to get through and then hang up on you? What's that all about....so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right on with all points, but with that no. 2 you hit the nail right on the head ... too many people forget too soon. No, parents of little kids are not to be blamed ... kids go through stages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with all of these, but #1 is standing out right now. Why do people not give good customer service anymore? Drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, please have patience with meltdown kids. You don't know if they have special needs. Poor customer service is a huge pet peeve of mine. Especially after a recent encounter at a tire shop where I was basically told by the manager that I was stupid. He was an ass! I love the elderly. I think I would prefer talking to them sometimes vs. people my own age or definitely younger. Some of them have so much wisdom to share. One lady at the senior center I go to every Monday always tells me the same stories about her strokes, but I listen any way and smile and give her a hug. I have really made some good friends at the senior center. I enjoy going there with my husband's grandma. Ugh, I hate it when people are constantly making excuses. Being unkind to the service people drive me insane. If it weren't for those people; they wouldn't have a place to eat or they would have to get it themselves. Those people that are condescending to service people, I just want to punch in the mouth. We are all still people!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!