April 12, 2013

A-Z 2013 the letter K

credit
My grandmother lived with us. She was a good and kind person to her family. We, all her 17 grandchildren called her Nana. Nana could always be found in one of two place they were either in front of her Singer sewing machine sewing up a storm or in the living room in her easy chair knitting (which she did when she was younger up until her 70's) then she took up crocheting from then on until her death at 95.

I remembered a conversation I had with my son Matthew the over Easter weekend and I knew exactly what my K word would be.

My "K" word is knitting.

My cousins came up for Easter from Charlotte, my son was here from Richmond and my daughter, son in law and three boys were here from Richmond as well. One of the nights with all six kids sleeping in beds, blow up beds, sofas and sleeper sofas I had to pull out all types of sheets, pillows and blankets including one of the home made afghans Nana made.

Nana & Matthew

The next morning I asked Matthew whether that particular afghan was his or his brother Eric's since Nana made one for every grandchild and great grandchild; he couldn't remember. He told me he'd have to see Eric's and compare to remember which was his.

After company left I was putting the house back in order and as I reached the top step of the staircase I glanced at the bookshelf and my answer was staring back at me in a frame. It was Matthews for sure!

I got my afgan when I was about the same age as Matthew was in this picture. So as you can imagine it is well loved. It was also knitted unlike Matthew's which as you can see was crocheted.

I went upstairs earlier today and gingerly pulled mine out of the bag I store it in. The word threadbare came to mind since it has thinned it has more than a few holes and the lining that Nana so lovingly attached has long since been removed due to wear.

I remember the day she laid all of her yard out on the bed and had me pick my color choices then we rolled and rolled up skeins and skeins of yarn so she could begin her knitting.

Here's my 50 year old knitted afghan.


Knitted by my Nana and loved to tatters by me.










Don't miss my next blog post. 
Follow me on Google friend connect or 
if you'd like you can subscribe and receive
my posts by email.

Both are located on the left sidebar.   
And don't forget to visit my friends 
who are participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge

19 comments:

  1. Fantastic and you are right to love it to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely memories Jen. Imagine making all those children blankets ,such love going into each one. I have a tartan blanket belonging to my gran ,not knotted though but she always used it to cover her legs when she was eventually in a wheelchair we lived with her and she died when I was fourteen ,I missed her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously....priceless heirloom and memories of your Nana! My Grands call me Nana, and you can bet they each have SEVERAL Quilts, Knitted and Crochet Blankees. Your Nana would be so pleased to know that her handworks are loved to pieces.

    I've started making for Great Grands, too....I hope mine have wonderful memories of being wrapped and comforted in blankets made by their Nana.

    Love this post. Thanks for sharing...very special. And thanks for your visits to my Blog. I'm a new follower and have added you to my AtoZ Blog Roll.

    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your quilting Bee story has kept me thoroughly entertained this past week Sue! I'm glad I could return the favor with my Nana's story. Thanks for following.

      Delete
  4. LOVE ~~~ L-O-V-E ~~~~ knitted and crocheted anything. You Nana was a sweetheart. It's k'd and c'd all over her handiwork. My Mom and Nana both K'd and taught me ~~~ so glad I am. I can knit me a sweater, a blanket, an anything.
    Your family is so fortunate to have your very own Nana blanket!

    Loverly!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. We have an afghan knitted by my husband's grandmother that we cherish. There's something so comforting about a hand knitted blanket from a grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your K post. I have an afghan that my Grandma made for me. It's perfect!
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma's are special people!
      And there afghans are indeed perfect.
      Thanks Connie

      Delete
  7. Aww...is so nice that you still have this! Great memories & keepsakes are awesome. Love stories like these that can be passed on throughout the generations. I'm currently learning how to knit. Although I'm cheating a bit by using a loom. :0 Hey, but it's still made by hand. Knitting new generation style. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey woman, it's still handmade and it's made with love right?

      Delete
  8. It's amazing how something can evoke such memories especially when you know that all of their love and hard work went into the piece. I'm glad that you kept it.
    95? Damn. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was one strong woman my Nana, made her mark on all of us.

      Delete
  9. I would like to quietly & unhurriedly read a book under that afghan by a roaring fire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr B's mom and my mom both crochet and knitted afghans for us and the kids. Some of them are rather thread bare.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful memories and a wonderful photo to remember Nana by too!! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit lazy and didn't want to pull out the ladder and go thru my bins but I do have a picture of Eric with Nana and his afghan too! He has so many other pictures up in the house since his passing so.....

      Delete
  12. My grandma made crochet afghans and she quilted. She made a quilt and an afghan for each grandchild! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'll be back to yours!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!