April 22, 2013

A-Z 2013 the letter S

I tend to have a lot of sixties and seventies songs on my I-Pod. It stands to reason since I was born in the late fifties that the songs from that period are the songs of my childhood.

My "S" word is song- songs.

Being a child of this time I can't help but remember some significant thing happened when I was growing up. 

Some of the highlights were....

Vietnam war and war/draft protests
The birth of Civil rights movement  
The Cuban missile crisis.
The assassinations  of The Kennedy brothers and MLK
The Apollo missions
The gas crisis of the seventies
The end of the Vietnam War 
Nixon and Watergate.
Kent State massacre
and
Woodstock

From these times came some pretty spectacular music. Thus sprung the "protest song!"Some songs were a bit controversial and many held strong political messages. 

But to me these were songs that asked questions that needed to be asked and said things that needed to be said. Sad but sweet songs that spoke of fear and hope that our country/world might some day be a better place. 

And that is why i grew up to love people who speak (or sing) their minds whether I agree with them or not. 

And like everyone else I wouldn't mind a little peace.



60's and 70's PROTEST SONGS




A Change Is Gonna Come,

 Sam Cooke




"Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die"

Country Joe McDonald 






'Abraham, Martin and John'
Dion




    Blowin' In the Wind'
  Bob Dylan
                                  

                                                                          
                                                                             Ohio
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young





Eve of Destruction
 Barry McGuire
Do you have a memory of the sixties or seventies or maybe a song you'd like to share? -Or- Did you hear one on this post that you particularly liked or disliked?











Don't miss my next blog post. 

Follow me on Google friend connect or 
if you'd like you can subscribe and receive
my posts by email.

Both are located on the left sidebar.   
And don't forget to visit my friends 
who are participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Protest songs were some of the best ever created, including some you haven't mentioned.

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes what happened to all my comments?

      I could have gone on and on but i had to limit myself to a few!

      Delete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!