April 10, 2012

Italian lover


Actually my husband's American of Scottish decent, I do not have an Italian lover, but I do love Italian food! 

This is not one of "those posts"..... sorry to disappoint!


 "I" really is a hard letter, at least for me and then all the sudden it hit me. I am a total carb addict I admit it and I absolutely love pasta and bread. Frankly there really isn't anything I love more to eat! Give me a nice crispy arugula salad on the side with a glass of wine and I'm in heaven. 


So I decided that my "I" word couldn't be anything other than Italian food. I love any and all Italian food, not just pasta, I enjoy meat and fish/shell fish cooked Italian style and Italian deserts, yummy!

To mix up the A-Z challenge a bit for today I thought I'd share my very favorite recipes with you; they go together.

We tend to eat this fairly regularly in our home, it's also a family favorite with my extended family.  Just add you favorite type of pasta and enjoy!

Do you have a favorite Italian dish? Or do your taste lie somewhere else?



Italian Sauce & Meatballs

SAUCE
INGREDIENTS:
2- 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes (hunts) plus ¾ can of water
¼ cup olive oil
3 cloves fresh garlic whole
1tbsp. Parsley (dried- fresh if best)
½ tsp. Oregano (dried) if fresh basil is in season use that instead
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar


METHOD:
1. Put oil in the bottom of a sauté pan ( not aluminum)
2. Add garlic, be sure not to let it burn.
3. Then add on can of tomatoes and ¾ can of water and all the spices
4. Bring to a boil, then add the other can and reduce to a simmer.
5. Cook for 1 ½ hours uncovered.



MEATBALLS
INGREDIENTS:

½ cup parmesan cheese
2 eggs beaten
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp parsley
2 lbs ground beef (you can use 1/3 part ground pork)
¾ cup plain bread crumbs
olive oil for cooking


METHOD:

1. Mix the first four ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Then add the ground meat and blend them both well.
3. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and mix them until they are full incorporated in the meat.
4. Form the meatballs- they can be any size.
5. Heat a frying pan with some oil and fry the meatballs so that they are browned- they do not have to be cooked fully thru. ( you will see pink, so don’t worry)
6. Add them to the sauce.
7. This recipe makes 25 meatballs, enjoy! Sauté hot or sweet Italian sausages and add to sauce .

23 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you can invite me over for that anytime you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I just drooled all over my laptop! :) I love Italian food too! I just had to make adjustments for the gluten free thing we're doing. But the food is still delicious! We might have to have some tonight now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I do not have an italian lover hubbie is half dutch half norwiegan but, my maternal grandfather was from Malta, Italy...so I grew up with some amazing yummy pasta I can tell ya that!!! :) I obsessed with pasta and italian food so this recipe had me drooling!!! Fun "I" post today. I too found the letter I a hard one today, I guess that is what is nice about the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delish, I love Italian food! I love a good lasagna, it's probably my favorite. I also love manacotti, spinach tortellini with alfredo, mushroom raviolis, alright the list goes on and on! I got a pasta maker as a wedding gift and I need to get it out and make some fresh spaghetti to try with your sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me Italian food is a mood thing--either I crave it or don't want it. It's frequently one of those types of foods that when I eat it out I'll love it or find it disgusting. Spaghetti especially often disappoints. My mother makes dynamite spaghetti and the restaurant experience rarely matches up to hers.
    Pizza is one of my favorite foods, but once again sometimes it can really disappoint.


    Lee
    A Few Words
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly! I love Italian food too. That's why I could never go on a gluten-free diet unless I had to. I'm not giving up my pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine a world without pizza? A true horror story....

      Delete
  7. My favorite, I suppose, is eggplant parmegiano, but I probably won't turn down any Italian dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how I love Italian food! Great meatball recipe...yours or your brothers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds so yummy!!! I want to seriously eat your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUMMY!!

    That recipe looks great and I think I'll be trying it real soon. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    This is so funny because I am actually seriously considering featuring one of my meatball recipes on "M" day!

    Cheers from the big rock in the middle of the Atlantic ocean ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. And let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  11. As an Italian, I can agree. I often made Bolognese sauce for dad because he was born in Bologna. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another thing we have in common! I am a total carb lover too, nothing better than pasta, breads, pizza, etc.
    I am half Italian and my husband is full Italian :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - Your photo and recipe made me hungry - YUM :)

      Delete
  13. Jen...you did it again. I have to remember not to sip coffee when I visit your blog!!! I was *not* expecting that line about an Italian lover. ROFL!!!

    Thanks for the recipes (and the laugh!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I read the title it sounded a little like I was having an affair an not loving Italian food, maybe my mind is in the gutter!

      Delete
  14. well, I saw that title and charged right over ;)

    thankfully, since I also am a carb lover...I am not disappointed it isn't one of "those posts" at all. My kids love, love spaghetti and meatballs...and my son especially loves helping make it, so this recipe is awesome!

    And now I want some Italian ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Italian food! Thanks for the recipe...my guys will thank you later I'm sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great recipe! My husband loves spaghetti and meatballs, and could eat it for a week straight! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds super yummy. Way to mix it up.
    I'm like 1/4 Italian. My grandma used to make the most glorious meat sauces ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum- Italian! :) I don't have any good recipes to make at home, but I love going to Olive Garden....

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!