April 12, 2012

my first pitcher wasn't beer

"K"
When I was a kid I didn't drink many soft drinks, did you? We mostly we drank orange juice, milk, water and when we were allowed to drink something sweet or wanted something refreshing with lunch after long hours on the beach we drank a kool, hint hint  fruit flavored drink beginning with the letter "K". 

Kool-Aid  Today's "K" word , currently there are over 70 different flavors to choose from!

I can remember mixing up large pitchers of kool-aid with sugar and cold water mixing and mixing it until the sugar dissolved.  If you drank the last bit of the pitcher in my house you were responsible for mixing up an new one which was a down side; bright side; we upon occasion used kool-aid and made ice pops- yumo! It was staple of my childhood kool-aid was always there in the fridge in a pitcher next to the milk.

image credit
When I chose kool-aid as my subject I started to wonder about how long it had been around, things like that. It has been a product since before I was born, and indeed came to be in 1953. The smiling face on the pitcher was added to the round pitcher about a year later and the no sugar added mix was developed and began to sell in stores in the mid sixties. Apparently my parents opted for the less expensive add your own sugar option because that's all I remember doing.

Now for the funny part. As I was traveling down memory lane and sipping  my kool-aid so to speak I came across some new and interesting ways my old favorite drink is being re-made and used this newer and more crafty generation.

Kool-aid Jammers!This first way is pretty normal. Pouches of kool-aid premixed for the kids to have in their lunch boxes and to take on the go. Or what seems like the norm in my house to squirt on the floor and on furniture!

Kool-aid play-dough! Make it what ever color and smell you want. You like purple/grape or maybe citrus might be better. This way you can have aroma therapy when you're scraping it off your wool rug in the dining room or off the bathroom tiles.

Here's the recipe:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 TAB cream of tartar
1 TAB oil
1 cup water
1 package Kool-Aid (whatever color/smell you want)

Cook over medium heat, mixing constantly until it forms a ball.  5 minutes tops. Cool on parchment or wax paper. Form into ball, will smell GREAT!

Seriously folks who thinks of these things??

And my own personal favorite since underneath all my hair dye there are many gray hairs and again I'm thinking grape!
Kool-aid for dying your hair!  Bet you can't wait to jot down there instructions for your teenager? For this little adventure first you will need: beer, preferably from  a Keg ( clever  how I worked another K  word into this!)


Ingredients
Unsweetened Kool Aid - 2 or more packs depending on the length of your hair
Petroleum Jelly
Hair Conditioner
Plastic Wrap

image credit

Instructions
In a small bowl mix 2 or more packs of Kool Aid and a few drops of conditioner to form a paste. Add a little bit of water if needed. Mix until smooth.

Spread Vaseline or petroleum jelly around the edge of your hair line and tops of ears. This will help prevent the Kool Aid from staining skin.

Work the Kool Aid mixture into your hair. Avoid the scalp and skin!

Once all of the Kool Aid mixture has been applied, wrap your head in plastic wrap, or bag.

Leave in place over night if possible. The longer you leave it on the darker the color will be.

In the morning, wash your hair, condition and then wash again. Style as usual!

I don't know about you all but as much as I appreciate all of the effort and imagination that has gone into all these other uses, I rather like my kool-aid the old fashion way..... in a glass, grape of course! 

How about you?


20 comments:

  1. Thank the Lord my kids are too old to do stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna take a pass on the Kool-Aid, but fun post. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can drink it! I think I'll just pass up on putting it in my hair!

      Delete
  3. Not much Kool-Aid at our house when I was growing up BUT, at my aunt's house across the street- OH YEAH! EVERY SINGLE DAY! I found my way into her house every day during the summer months to eat with my cousins and drink Kool-Aid! CHERRY, of course. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Koolaid hair dye? LOL...what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I was thinking about koolaid the other day and how we had these freezer mug things that you could put the koolaid into and it would turn into a slush, loved them during the summer. Now days doctors get cranky about letting your kids even drink juice, so I'm sure they would complain about koolaid.
    I also saw another A-Z poster talk about how her kids dyed their Easter eggs using a koolaid recipe. I think that would be safer than the concentrated food dyes and it would smell awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, Jen...I loved Kool-aid! Lemon-lime was my absolute favorite. But I also liked strawberry and the pink lemonade..so glad you posted that because it was 'my job' to make the Kool-aid! great choice for letter K~

    ReplyDelete
  7. We didn't have much fizzy drinks when I was young either but like the comment above my aunt did. She used to buy it in cases. We don't have Kool aid in UK so I have no idea what it tastes like. Visiting from A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's basically a powder you add sugar to in different fruit flavors.

      Delete
  8. Hey there

    "Kool" post!!!!

    I loved Kool-Aid as a kid too. I think my favorite was Cherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that's cherry in the glass and not cherry in your hair,lol!

      Delete
  9. I dyed my best friend's hair green in college with kool-aid for St. Patty's Day. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I had packets to give away at the food pantry, everyone wanted the grape. I'm pretty sure they were all drinking it too. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. i remember drinking Kool-aid as a kid and making ice pops out of it those were the days

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Smells so good but I'd worry the kiddies would ingest it! Not that it matter to me my youngest is 29.

      Delete
  13. The aroma therapy part was my favorite, lol! Great K post Jen, very creative - or should I say kreative? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just did the Kool-Aid hair dye last weekend! My daughter wanted rainbow tips. I will say grape and cherry work the best. Lemon-lime? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember that! Cherry and grape...my granddaughters are 11 and 4 ;0

      Delete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!