April 26, 2012

no worries


For those of you who have followed along with my A-Z from the beginning then you know my " B" post was about boobs; and the importance of self exams and getting once regular mammograms. When I wrote that I had just had my yearly mammogram. I passionately believe as woman we need to be our own advocates for our health. So I wrote about it, you can read it here if you missed it.

Today I'd like for my "W" word to be waiting.......

What I didn't share with you all is that my mammogram came back abnormal and I was called back. I cannot tell you how difficult it is to try to digest the information on the mammogram report when there really isn't much to go on. And then there's the waiting.....

Mine came back saying that I had an asymmetry- which is basically there is something on one breast that doesn't match the other breast or that there is something in one view that is not clearly distinguishable in the other view. {they always take at least two views of each breast}

And so then began the wait...... An entire month for another appointment so they could do another mammogram. This time a spot compression mammogram just focused on the area in question.

I went the day before yesterday and was lucky enough to see the same familiar face I'd seen many times at many of my appointments. She did two views and then asked me to wait. She would bring it to the radiologist and have him take a look. I sat in the chair in the room and looked at the clock move ever so slowly. waiting.....waiting.....

Some twenty minutes later she popped her head into the room with a half smile and said."no worries, he said it's nothing come back next year."

I'm breathing again my friends, the waiting over.


10 comments:

  1. Sounds good, but do your self exams. That's how my sister and my neighbor found their lumps. Their mammograms didn't show anything. My sister had a mastectomy. It's a blessing that she found the lump on her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you can bet I do and will! Glad your sister's ok.

      Delete
  2. So glad everything turned out fine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEW! That kind of waiting SUCKS! I'm so glad it all ended up the way it did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were killing me with that.
    I'm so happy for you.
    Have a great weekend!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is scary! I'm glad it was absolutely nothing though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can breathe now. Thanks God there is nothing there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news but terrible that they make you wait for a month to hear it.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!