April 20, 2012

it's a change for the better, a reno

click to visit A-Z
We recently did a full renovation in our upstairs bathroom. I actually designed this room myself and purchased all the items on-line or and the floor tiles in home depot. Then I changed the layout of the room and reversed the location of the shower and the sink. This bathroom lays in the middle of our two upstairs bedrooms, ours and a guestroom.


"R" today's letter for today's A-Z challenge

"R" for renovate- renovation.....


1.
to restore to good condition; make new or as if new again;repair.
2.
to reinvigorate; refresh; revive.
This renovation was a total gut job. Believe me there were these funky little 1970's half walls with the funky tiles, gold with this swirly little pattern. I wish I had before pictures but I wasn't thinking! I'm sure I have something in one of my bins but my bins are huge and up above the closet in the guest room. You'll just have to take my word for it when I tell you it was time for a re-do!


We made the doors to the bedrooms on either side of the bathroom narrower, moved and changed them to open out instead of in. And my personal favorite feature of the entire room is the new smaller higher window. You see the one that was there before was large and reached all the way down to the toilet tank.


Why did I hate the larger window you ask? Because most of the men folk would pay more attention to the view outside the window when peeing. This as you can imagine didn't do much for their aim. My contractor laughed when I told him to put the window up high enough so they can't see and pee at the same time. I'm sick of cleaning the floor.


We did this bathroom renovation on a budget. We cut costs by buying things on sale, and purchased close out items, we did all the painting by ourselves and by using contractors from our community who were recommended to us by our friends and neighbors.

Have you ever done a renovation? What kind of experience did you have?

And don't forget to tell me what you think of my bathroom renovation and the paint color.

15 comments:

  1. Love your bathroom renovation. We ripped out the carpet upstairs, and we're in the middle of putting a hardwood floor down to replace it. It's a lot of work. But it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great reno to do in a house, adds bit value and it looks fab when it's done!

      Delete
  2. You did a beautiful job, Jen. I love the paint colors, so fresh and clean looking.

    In another house we owned, we turned the 2-car garage into a great room and it turned out--well, great. The best part was when they knocked the big hole in the kitchen wall next to the single door, to turn it into a double cased-opening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!
    I love that sink. When I grow up, I want one just like that.
    I'm sure you're so happy that it's over.
    Yes, we have been through total reno jobs before. Our last two homes were condemned and foreclosed upon. "Total Reno Jobs"!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fresh and lovely in there. I really like the colors you chose to work with. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Great job in your bathroom. It's like your own oasis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love that you got everything at Home Depot - my husband is a manager there. :-) The green is a bit tart for me, but I love the sink! Renovations make you fall in love with your home again, don't they? Very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely renovation.I love your sink I like that all the pipework is hidden I hate seing pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of them are in the wall, floor or under the sink, I don't want to see them either you're right!

      Delete
  8. Great job on the renovation Jen! It's gorgeous and I love your choice for the paint. We've renovated two homes over the last year and a half but there were so many big things like rerunning plumbing, tearing out walls, repairing water damage, etc. that we were just able to finish the "bones" of the homes, still so much more to be done at both before they will be complete like your pretty little bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, it is beautiful! I love the green...it looks like a color I want at my beach house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do NOT get me started on how the master bath in our house has needed to be gutted for YEARS and how our brand new steam shower for that bathroom was put on our FRONT porch in the crates where it has been for 4 years. Yeah, just don't get me started. Yours looks GREAT! I haven't been too sold on that type of sink---tell me how you like. Maybe do a little comparison with a 'regular' sink? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job! I love your unusual sink, fixtures, and paint color! Green is my favorite color, and we have a few different shades in our house too! Great idea about raising the window! Enjoy your radiant restroom renovation! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the colours!
    Very fresh.
    We reno'ed ours last year and went on the dark side...muwhahah. The colour is called satchel. It reminded us of the movie Hangover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark is sometimes really wonderful in powder rooms, I've seen it done and when done right it can be very dramatic!

      Delete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!