April 12, 2012

little ones have that ability don't they?


"L"
This is a story is about a few "L" words it's about little ones it's about loss and its about laughing. Children are a blessing aren't they? And when we see our little ones do something adorable then it's a story that needs to be shared. It's a good one, you're going to love it.

My brother and my sister in law usually visit us every summer for at least a week. This is what happened one summer day about ten years ago. My grandsons were visiting, that's three boys, Adam, Emmanuel and Xavier and my brother has two girls Sydney and Alexandra and a boy Gerard, the oldest child was my niece Sydney {6yrs.} followed by my grandson Adam {4yrs.} This story is about the two of them.

It's important at this point to mention that my nephew little Gerard has allergies so they do not have any pets so they were very attached to ours. We on the other had always had both dogs and cats; at this point we had one dog Charlie and five indoor/outdoor cats. Since their last visit our other dog Cosmo had died of an immune disorder so my brothers kids were devastated that she was gone. I should also say we have a little pet cemetery with little grave markers in our yard.

Lazing on the back porch my brother Gerard and I see my grandson Adam and his daughter Sydney heading over to the pet cemetery. From where we're sitting we not only have a clear view but we can clearly hear every word they are saying; but they seemed to be unaware of our presence.

In a very solemn voice Sydney says to Adam. " We need to pray for Cosmo Adam." Then she crosses herself showing her little cousin the correct form for the sign of the cross. " In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." Listening from our perch on the back steps we then hear as she recites; "Hail Mary Full of Grace the Lord is with thee.......  over my dead dog Cosmo's grave.

What an adorable site to see, my brother and I were in tears it was so darn cute.  When the prayer was complete Sydney turns to Adam and says in her little voice. "It's your turn now Adam OK?" Adam looked up at his bigger older girl cousin shook his head in affirmative and without missing a beat put his hand on his heart and said, " I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America...... His cousin serious as a heart attack followed suit hand on heart and they both recited the pledge.

By this point, my brother and I are in tears and laughing simultaneously at the level of cuteness as  they express their loss at the pet grave in a way only little ones are capable of doing, with innocence. Never taking our tear filled eyes off them we watch as they finished their pledge. Then they embraced and walked together hand and hand towards the front of the house.

credit

This is one of my very favorite family stories. I will always cherish those moments.They can bring us to tears one minute and make us laugh the next.; little ones have that ability don't they?



15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful memory! Children have such huge hearts, even if they don't fully understand the meanings of their words! Actions mean everything! Adorable!! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very touching story! I would've teared up too at their memorial service and The Pledge of Allegiance was too much! Do you even remember all of the words? Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children have a loving, accepting attitude we should learn from. We all started this way. What made us change?

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet sweet story. Kids are definitely amazing little beings aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priceless! Such a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right there's is no price to be put on that type of memory!

      Delete
  6. Love it! Love it! Love it! So dang cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of the sweetest things ever! What a wonderful memory. Thank you so much for sharing this with us ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, I laughed so much at what Adam said ,he must have known that was a truthful solem thing to say. Lovely hearts both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! What a beautiful peek into a wonderful memory. Thanks!
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in what you have to say...
Comments are appreciated!